Voices Against Indifference Initiative
The Harry Wu Project
January – February 2000
Calendar of Events
- February 4, 2000 Echo Foundation Educator Award: (Deadline Feb. 4) Harry Wu presented the Educator Award to an
- area teacher who goes beyond the basics to weave compassion for humanity and moral decision-making into
- his/her daily interaction with students.
- February 7, 2000 High School Writing Contest: (Deadline Feb.7) Students submitted 1,500 – 3,000 word essays on the
- questions: “Do you believe there is a moral and ethical obligation for those of us who enjoy freedom to
- promote justice and tolerance for all humankind, at home and around the globe?” Two scholarships for
- travel to China were awarded by The Echo Foundation and Harry Wu at the student dialogue.
- Read the winning entries here.
- February 10, 2000 Student Tolerance Day: (1:00 PM, Independence High School) Program for all students and teachers
- attending dialogue to learn about Harry Wu, his message, and China.
- Free Curriculum Material Available: Educational packet for teachers to prepare for students for dialogue
- with Harry Wu, and to encourage discussion about human rights and justice.
- February 23, 2000 Student Dialogue: (1:00 PM, Independence High School) 600-plus students and teachers from 19
- Charlotte area high schools will attend.
- Off-site Student Participation: Students at other area schools can watch the dialogue in their classrooms
- and submit questions to Harry Wu. Time Warner Cable has installed cable wiring and service, and created
- a special e-mail site to make this possible.
- Live Public Broadcast of Student Dialogue: (Feb. 23 at 1 PM) Will air on Time Warner Cable channel 58
- February 24, 2000 Johnson C. Smith University and UNCC: (2 PM, Johnson C. Smith University) In addition to the above,
- Johnson C. Smith University and UNCC hosted a seminar with Harry Wu for area university and college
- The Harry Wu Project Documentary: Time Warner Cable will produce a documentary of the dialogue and Wu’s visit for rebroadcast
- at a later date, as well as for distribution to high schools nationwide.